Project idea: disk-activity visualization

Soeren Straarup xride at x12.dk
Thu Feb 12 01:15:53 PST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:54:58PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> +> If somebody here is looking for a project I would like to add something
> +> like this to GEOM:
> +>
> +> 	http://www.itworld.com/Comp/3380/UIR990101perf/
> +>
> +> It would be a flag you set on the consumer(s) or provider(s) you
> +> were interested in monitoring, and then a number of pages of RAM
> +> would be mapped from kernel to userland with an array of counters
> +> which increment on access.
> +>
> +> The kernel bit is rather trivial, the tough part is presenting and
> +> visualizing this in a sane way.
>
> I'm not sure if extending infrastructure in this direction is a good idea.
> This will be very easy to implement with insert/delete stuff (and so many
> other neat things).
>
> If you have this ready, plase give me for tests, if not, I can start its
> implementation.
>
> --
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
> pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl
> FreeBSD committer                         Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!

I have begun in the small to implement a userland GUI for geom
So far it can only display the sysctl output of confdot,
but the idea is that it should be able to display what something like
this: sysctl -b kern.geom.confdot | dot -Tps - && gv -
Just in realtime or close to.
In version 42 it should be able to configure geom to, by entering data
in the gui.

Best regards Søren

Soeren Straarup   | aka OZ2DAK aka Xride
FreeBSD wannabe   | FreeBSD since 2.2.6-R
     If you see the light at the end of the tunnel,
      then make sure it is not a train..