Project idea: disk-activity visualization

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 12 00:38:23 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:54:58PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
+> If somebody here is looking for a project I would like to add something
+> like this to GEOM:
+>
+> 	http://www.itworld.com/Comp/3380/UIR990101perf/
+>
+> It would be a flag you set on the consumer(s) or provider(s) you
+> were interested in monitoring, and then a number of pages of RAM
+> would be mapped from kernel to userland with an array of counters
+> which increment on access.
+>
+> The kernel bit is rather trivial, the tough part is presenting and
+> visualizing this in a sane way.

I'm not sure if extending infrastructure in this direction is a good idea.
This will be very easy to implement with insert/delete stuff (and so many
other neat things).

If you have this ready, plase give me for tests, if not, I can start its
implementation.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl