can't reattach gbde slice

DOT dot at data.pl
Wed Aug 18 04:14:53 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:18:21 -0400
Allan Fields <bsd at afields.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:31:43PM +0200, DOT wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using GBDE on laptop everyday from six months and it never fails,
> > so I feel free to store all my sensitive data on encrypted slice (ad0s3
> > - my home directory).
>
> This might not be GBDE related, don't know yet.

Ofcourse, I still belive that it's good idea.

> > Today something really bad happens and I can't attach it anymore. I
> > can't even discover what's the reason because there are/were no error
> > messages, system boot and run without problem, my brain isn't corrupted,
> > hardware looks fine too. I know it for sure, passphrase is good.
>
> ad0s3 you are using a raw slice.  Where is FreeBSD located?
> So you went to attach and you get no /dev/ad0s3.bde ?

Exactly. I'm using a raw slice, and nothing visible to me happened when
I was trying to attach it. "was" because i've just finished recovering data
from backup. It wasn't obvious decision because I mess up and most of them
are outdated, hope I can handle this. In this situation sorry for Your wasted
time.
FreeBSD is on ad0s2. Are there any contraindications to use geom based
encryption on a raw slice?

> > Only one thing comes to my mind - yesterday I've run some livecd linux
> > distribution.. just looked around and shutdown - but I'm not sure, could
> > it overwrite something?
>
> I'd hope not, unless you went to install something, you can still boot
> FreeBSD off ad0?  If you went to partition the drive it might have done
> something.

I didn't install anything, didn't touch partitions at all (consciously).
And after that FreeBSD and Windows XP boot and run without problem. I'm not
sure that this has something to do with my case, but as far as i can remember
it's what I was doing directly before problems with attach.

> > If so, how can I check this? Or, most important to me, is there
> any chance to fix this?
>
> Get fdisk output and any disklabels on ad0.  Is s3 still the same?
> Even writing partitions from Linux fdisk shouldn't be a problem,
> unless changed.  If not you have a back-up of the partition table
> or idea what you used?

I didn't have backups of partiotion table, but as You can see now my problem
is out of date, unsolved anyway.
Thank You very much for Your interest.

> > If You need more detailed informations please tell me what to do.
> >
> > Michal Bartkowiak
>
> --
>  Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
>  2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541

Cheers,
Michal Bartkowiak