Behavior of thunderbird (3.1.x)

rloefgren at forethought.net rloefgren at forethought.net
Sun Oct 24 20:26:29 UTC 2010

Sirs,

Right now I am attempting to fix my thunderbird-3.0.8 install, which has,
for the third time in three weeks, capriciously decided that it could not
get my password with which to retrieve POP mail from my provider. This is
nonsense, and I'm beginning to think thunderbird is nowhere near the mail
client its coders would have you think.

Since things are currently broken I thought I'd compile 3.1.x since the
web says there have been improvements that might touch on my password
perdicament, I find that 3.1 won't even build unless I un-install 3.0
first. This is bullshit. I didn't even tell it to install, just build, so
I could see if it would do even that (it has failed at that on my
machine). Now I have no client at all; healthy or broken. Can't the
Makefile in this port be amended to allow building without assuming an
install as well? Or would Mozilla rag about something such that this is
not allowable?

Cynically watching Thunderbird become less even as it becomes more,

Reed Loefgren