firefox-3.6.10,1 slowdown

KB N kbn00 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 21:59:09 UTC 2010

Greetings,

When I visit a web page with many big images like

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=cat&no=273312

my firefox starts to crawl and almost freeze. Even after it finishes loading all the images, I can not scroll down/up
the page using my mouse wheel becuase it makes my desktop almost frozen.

On the same machine, I can view the web page without any problem using Opera 10.61.6430 web browser.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD space 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Fri Oct  8 14:21:32 KST 2010

$ $ ls -l /usr/ports/www/firefox/Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  3800 Sep 17 00:07 /usr/ports/www/firefox/Makefile

The kernel is GENERIC, and I don't do any configuration when compiling firefox (i.e. just dbus support checked).

The video card is X800GTO 256AGP on Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with Athlon X2 3800+ CPU and 2GB RAM.

I've installed xorg and gnome2 ports and they are in the default setting (i.e. I didn't do any fancy customization).

Thanks.