[CFT] Firefox 3.6 for FreeBSD

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Fri Feb 5 07:47:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 07:48:37AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2010-Feb-04 01:19:33 +0100, Martin Wilke <miwi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >The problem was that starting Firefox 3.6 with certain
> >addons installed was not possible. Now it looks like all
> >problems are solved and we can start a CFT.
>
> Thanks to all for your efforts.
>
> >weekend. We should also note that the java plugin currently
> >does not work with 3.6.
>
> This is a blocker for me.  What is involved in building a
> java plugin to suit the new FF36 interface?  Please let me know
> if there's anything I can do to assist the effort.

Well, I don't believe the java plugin works with Firefox 3.5, so this isn't
a new development.

I haven't looked into this enough recently but I would suggest there are
two promising options.  If Sun is including a FF 3.6 compatible plugin
with its current jdk16 release then we should grab the newest available
jdk16 code and update the jdk16 port with it.  Thats not a small piece
of work though as the port is languishing at Update 3 and I think Sun
is at Update 18.  The other option is to port the IcedTea plugin to
our openjdk6 port, assuming that is FF 3.6 compatible.  That shouldn't
be too difficult.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com