[HEADUP] FreeBSD Gecko's TODO and plan for future

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Aug 25 01:18:54 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:23:59 +1000
> From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:26:25PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > You can set WITH_GECKO=libxul in make.conf, and most of these should go
> > away.
>
> I've done that (and installed libxul!) and re-built all of the
> ports in firefox-2.*/+REQUIRED_BY, and my list is now:
>
> alacarte-0.12.1_1
> brasero-2.26.3_1
> cairo-clock-0.3.2_3
> cheese-2.26.3_1
> deskbar-applet-2.26.2_1
> empathy-2.26.2_1
> eog-2.26.3_1
> epiphany-2.26.3_3
> epiphany-extensions-2.26.1_1
> gnome-control-center-2.26.0_2
> gimp-2.6.6,2
> gnome-applets-2.26.3_1
> gnome-games-2.26.3_1
> gnome2-2.26.3
> gtkam-gnome-0.1.16.1_1
> hamster-applet-2.26.3_1
> orca-2.26.3_1
> seahorse-plugins-2.26.2_2
> sound-juicer-2.26.1_1
>

> That's a lot shorter than it was before, but still clearly quite
> long.  In most of these I can't see where the firefox dependency
> is coming from.  For instance, the gimp meta-port is still here,
> but gimp-app has moved over to the libxul-1.9 +REQUIRED_BY list.
>
> Is there any convenient way to list dependencies hierarchially,
> rather than the flat set that pkg_info -r provides?

Andrew,

How did you sequence the re-builds? I'd guess that gimp-app was re-built
after the gimp metaport, so the metaport retained the dependency.

If you have portupgrade, I would suggest 'portupgrade -rfx firefox
firefox'. portupgrade works by building a dependency graph of the needed
ports and builds te tree from the root. This should get rid of all but a
handful of ports.

It looks like everything in the list should rebuild without the firefox
dependency. I had every one of them. I'm now down to just
mplayerplug-in because it fails to build against libxul.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)