How many ram...

Karli Sjöberg karli.sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Jan 15 07:06:01 UTC 2015

ons 2015-01-14 klockan 10:03 -0800 skrev Freddie Cash:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Karli Sjöberg <karli.sjoberg at slu.se>
> wrote:
>         Den 14 jan 2015 18:28 skrev Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com>:
>         > One of them has dedupe enabled (yeah, yeah, we know, we're
>         moving away from
>         > it, it's actually the last one with it enabled),
>
>         But what about all of the savings you were benefitting from?
>         Wasn't it like 10x dedup savings or something, I know I've
>         asked before at the forums but a person forgets... What's made
>         you change your mind?
>

> ​Originally, we were getting great disk space savings ​that made it
> worthwhile (4x was our lowest, I think our highest was around 8x).

<snip>

> Then we started getting issues with resilvers taking 3+weeks to
> replace disks, monthly scrubs just barely completing before the next
> one starts, and running out of RAM a lot.  When hardware died and
> killed the pool, we rebuilt it without dedupe and things are running
> much smoother now.  We didn't lose any data as we had it replicated
> off-site.  :)

Had a feeling that would become a problem, just maintaining it with
performance so crippled like that.

<snip>

> Now, we get 2 TB drives in bulk for $80 CDN, so there's no point
> suffering through the pain points that ​come with dedupe on ZFS.
>

> --
> Freddie Cash
> fjwcash at gmail.com

Totally agree, disk i cheap, buy more:) Although I really wish and hope
for a total makeover of dedup in ZFS someday just because the physical
space it takes, not everyone has the money to afford football fields of
datacenters, also to keep down the energy that takes to drive all of the
JBOD's, thinking in ecological point of view.

And as for not drifting too much off topic, we use 28-bay SuperMicro
JBOD's that are most easily configured in 10-10-8 raidz2 vdev's.

/K