How many ram...

Robert David robert at linsystem.net
Tue Jan 13 12:36:10 UTC 2015

Hi Albert,

it mainly depends how you will use this pool. If it would be some cold
storage used only for slow backups, then somehow reasonable amount of
ram is ok. Let say 32GB can work.
The main problem is with performance, since ram affect zfs a lot (after
warming period).

If it will be some performance data storage, 256GB ram can be not that
much.

Also do not use deduplication on such pools or you will find any amount
of memory too low. I would say, do not use deduplication on any pool,
even the small ones.

Regards,
Robert.