memory exhaustion on 10.1 AMD64 ZFS storage system

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Mon Jan 12 21:42:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

> We've had this storage system running 9.x without problems.  After
> upgrading to 10.1 we've seen "out of swap space" messages in the logs.
>
> Dec 13 04:29:12 storage2 kernel: pid 723 (rpc.statd), uid 0, was killed:
> out of swap space

Do you have compression enabled and L2ARC? There's this bug that leaks memory via L2ARC, causing all memory to run out, pushing out the ARC and (probably) causes crashes and lots of swap usage..

I think this is about that bug:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/b98f85d480b770e34d5e08c66dbc668bd5548bdc

Mark