ZFS Send / Receive Recursively Without Properties

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:07:36 UTC 2015

> This concern led me to avoid -R for automated transfers, and necessitated
> a snapshot expiry script on the backup side. I like my backup to protect me
> from at least one level of fat-fingers. :)

Let me correct this comment (it's been a while)

I've avoided using -F (on the receive) with -RI (on the send), which is
what I'm guessing you are doing if it is removing snapshots "for you."

So: actually using -R (send), skipping -F (receive; no snapshot removal);
post-xfer expiration of backup-side snapshots.

Is the -u option of any use to you on the receive? You can receive it
initially with -u and then set a local mount point property...

 - Eric