The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Sat Feb 21 18:50:59 UTC 2015

On 02/21/15 11:23, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

>> On Feb 21, 2015, at 9:36 AM, Christian Baer
>> <christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>>
>> But why shouldn't I use /etc/exports? I have read people writing
>> this (don't use /etc/exports) in forums when searching for answers,
>> however the current manpage for zfs says this:
>
> FreeNAS has more experience with sharing things from ZFS than anyone
> else in the BSD community (that’s not hyperbole, it’s simply
> fact).  We don’t use any of the zfs sharing flags.  Those were
> intended more for Solaris (sharesmb, for example - FreeBSD lets you
> do that, but what does it *mean* when you don’t have a native CIFS
> service?).   FreeBSD has never integrated ZFS’s notion of sharing
> or, for that matter, a number of other things like drive hot sparing
> and automatic replacement, and you’re seeing the results of ZFS’s
> solaris roots still not lining up 100% with their new FreeBSD home.
> That’s all.
>
> I would simplify things, just as FreeNAS has (for good reasons), and
> simply have ZFS be “a filesystem” from FreeBSD’s perspective
> and share it just as you would UFS.

When I was working out my own mounts, it seemed that sharenfs=on was
required to make them work, but I just checked and indeed I can
mount a zfs file system over NFS4.1 without it.  So I would definitely
agree about not complicating things.

Having both sharenfs and sharesmb *seem* to work does complicate
figuring out how to make NFS work if you don't already know this,
though.

Back to Christian's problem, I don't see nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
in your rc.conf lines.  I have it in mine, and NFSv4 works.
See man(4) nfsv4.

You might have a look at /var/log/messages after restarting nfsd.

Russell