The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Sat Feb 21 17:34:31 UTC 2015

Russell L. Carter wrote:

> Post your /etc/exports, and the nfs*_enable bits of /etc/rc.conf.  And
> as Rainer noted you definitely need to check that uid/gid match on
> both server and client.

Pretty boring stuff...

root at obelix:~ # cat /etc/exports
V4: /usr/archive/Shared         -alldirs -network 192.168.100/24

I reduced the shares to one for the time being.

root at obelix:~ # mount
/dev/ufs/root on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/ufs/var on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ufs/usr on /usr (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
arc1 on /zfs/arc1 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
arc1/home on /home (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
arc1/Shared on /usr/archive/Shared (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
arc1/Private on /usr/archive/Private (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)

root at obelix:~ # cat /etc/rc.conf | grep nfs
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsuserd_enable="YES"

The handbook did not say I needed anything more than those.

> You can quickly check that sharenfs=on via mount:
> root at terpsichore> mount | grep NFS
> system/export on /export (zfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
As you can see, this is always missing in my lines. Please also see my other
post with the reference to the zfs manpage which states that nfs exports may
also be managed via the /etc/exports file.

Best regards,
Chris