Creating zpool on NVMe Disks takes forever

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:20:03 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Steven Hartland
<killing at multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
> Technically is not TRIM / UNMAP its BIO_DELETE which is translated by the
> relevant device driver to the format the device understands.
>
> For SCSI this can be TRIM, UNMAP, WS or ZERO, for ATA this can be CFA_ERASE
> or TRIM and for NVMe this is a Deallocate.
>
> One reason why it might be slow is I don't see NVMe configuring geom
> d_delmaxsize, which if the case will force the "TRIM" to be split into
> single sector deallocation requests.

So "zfs_trim_on_init" doesn't require TRIM, it simply ensures it has
wiped all data regardless of what the device supports.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Xin Li <delphij at delphij.net> wrote:
> Encrypted GEOM providers does not support TRIM (neither pass-through
> nor random initialization) right now, so this doesn't matter, at least
> not yet.

Given the above, doesn't this mean that encrypted geoms will be erased
block by block on init, regardless of whether they can TRIM or not.

Cheers

Tom