ZFS bug: Creating ZIL ignores vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Nov 6 13:57:11 UTC 2014

On Nov 6, 2014, at 2:11 PM, Michael Jung wrote:

> What does smartctl -a /dev/ada1 show?
>
> I see other posts via google showing that the SSDSA2CT040G3 has 512 byte physical sectors (ashift 9)

Different issue and I just stumbled upon it when testing this.  The quirk provided for the SSD 320 drives,

        {
                /*
                 * Intel 320 Series SSDs
                 * 4k optimised & trim only works in 4k requests + 4k aligned
                 */
                { T_DIRECT, SIP_MEDIA_FIXED, "*", "INTEL SSDSA2CW*", "*" },
                /*quirks*/ADA_Q_4K
        },
        {
                /*
                 * Intel 330 Series SSDs
                 * 4k optimised & trim only works in 4k requests + 4k aligned
                 */
                { T_DIRECT, SIP_MEDIA_FIXED, "*", "INTEL SSDSC2CT*", "*" },
                /*quirks*/ADA_Q_4K
        },

doesn't match mine, hence they are not properly recognized.

Anyway, as Steve says, it's irrelevant. If I change the min_auto_ashift variable to 12 it should set the  ashift to 12
regardless of the quirk detection.

I'll send the updated quirk to -scsi, but that's a different matter.

Borja.