ZFS unable to import pool

Gena Guchin ggulchin at icloud.com
Mon Apr 21 19:29:34 UTC 2014

Hello FreeBSD users,

my appologies for reposting, but I'd really need your help!

I have this huge problem with my ZFS server. I have accidentally formatted one of the drives in exported ZFS pool. and now I can’t import the pool back. this is extremely important pool for me. device that is missing is still attached to the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#uname -a
FreeBSD XXX 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789: Thu Jan 16 22:34:59 UTC 2014     root at snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

#zpool import
  pool: storage
    id: 11699153865862401654
 state: UNAVAIL
status: One or more devices are missing from the system.
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
       devices and try again.
  see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
config:

       storage                 UNAVAIL  missing device
         raidz1-0              DEGRADED
           ada3                ONLINE
           ada4                ONLINE
           ada5                ONLINE
           ada6                ONLINE
           248348789931078390  UNAVAIL  cannot open
       cache
         ada1s2
       logs
         ada1s1                ONLINE

       Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
       exact configuration cannot be determined.

# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
zroot   920G  17.9G   902G     1%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

# zpool upgrade
This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.

All pools are formatted using feature flags.

Every feature flags pool has all supported features enabled.

# zfs upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 5.

All filesystems are formatted with the current version.

Thanks a lot!

— Gena