Strange UFS write problem & SU+J "unexpected inconsistences" on 9.1-STABLE r253105 after it on OTHER filesystems.

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 26 11:46:59 UTC 2013

Hello, Kirk.
You wrote 26 сентября 2013 г., 10:12:07:

KM> I do not think that we are likely to find out anything useful from
KM> looking at your dumpped /. Notably the errors that were produced were
KM> because an indirect block had gottened trashed. Looking at the file
KM> image is not going to tell us how they got trashed. Usual cases are
KM> memory errors, address line errors on the I/O bus, or I/O error in the
KM> disk itself. The journal does not know of these errors, so does not
KM> look to correct them. Hence the need for a manual fsck.
 Kirk, I want to bring into focus, that EINVAL writes were seen for / and
/var (which leaded to panic and reboot), and fsck after panic failed for /usr
and /tmp. So, you words "The journal does not know of these errors, so does
not look to correct them." is not belong here. Journal was unable to correct
errors on FSes which didn't have any problems at moment of panic!

 And after all, full fsck didn't find any problems with indirect blocks on /
and /var later (yesterday).

 I repeat again: journal problems were seen on filesystems, which didn't
have any visible problems at moment of panic.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>