ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 5000 (should be 28)

Freek Dijkstra public at macfreek.nl
Sun Oct 20 22:03:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 9.2 on my host. It has two mirrored SSD disks,
running ZFS. All seemed to worked fine, except that the device does not
boot.

Right after booting, it shows the error:

   ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 5000 (should be 28)
   ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 5000 (should be 28)
   gptzfsboot: No ZFS pools located, can't boot

Previously I used FreeBSD 9.0 and had no problems after a fresh install.

Am I correct that the above error means that the ZFS parition uses zpool
version 5000 (the 'features-flag' version), while the bootloader only
understands zpool version 28, and hence can't boot.

I did install the bootcode using

   # gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

It almost seems that the bootloader contained on the memdisk is out of date.

I once again booted from a 9.2 memdisk, executed this command, and
rebooted. It gave the same error. I also tried a 9.0 memdisk and
10.0-BETA1 memdisk, but got the same error again.

Two questions:
* Is the problem indeed an old version of the bootloader?
* Is there a recent version of the bootloader and where exactly
  can I donwload and install it?

FYI, this is how I installed FreeBSD 9.2. I used
Downloads/FreeBSD-9.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img and at the partitioning
stage, dropped to the shell and executed these commands:

  # gpart create -s gpt ada0
  # gpart add -b 34 -s 94 -t freebsd-boot ada0
  # gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
  # gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l ssd0 ada0

  # gpart create -s gpt ada1
  # gpart add -b 34 -s 94 -t freebsd-boot ada1
  # gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada1
  # gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l ssd1 ada1

  # zpool create -R /mnt zroot mirror /dev/gpt/ssd0 /dev/gpt/ssd1
  # zfs set mountpoint=/ zroot
  # zfs set cachefile=none zroot
  # zpool set bootfs=zroot zroot

Last, I created /boot/loader.conf to contain:
  zfs_load="YES"
  vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"

I am aware that this topic was previously discussed, but that discussion
focussed on how to downgrade the zpool, while I prefer to upgrade the
bootloader, if at all possible,

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra