zfs issue - disappearing data

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Fri May 3 18:36:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 10:43:21AM -0700, Mike Carlson wrote:
> {snipping parts I have no knowledge of}
>
>    History for 'data':
> {snip}
>    2013-02-25.17:12:22 zfs set compression=lzjb data
>
> We had a file structure drop off:
>
> /data/XML_WORKFLOW/XML_ORDERS/
>
> around 5/2/2012 @ 17:00
>
> In that directory, there were a few thousand directories (containing
> images and a couple metadata text/xml files)
>
> What is odd, is doing a du -h in the parent XML_WORKFLOW directory,
> only reports ~150MB:
>
>      # find . -type f |wc -l
>    86
>    # du -sh .
>    130M .
>

> however, df reports 1.5GB:
>
>    # df -h .
>    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
>    data/XML_WORKFLOW 28T 1.5G 28T 0% /data/XML_WORKFLOW

This is one of the side effects of ZFS compression.  Google "zfs
compression df du freebsd".  You'll find lots of chat about this.  To be
clear: it is not a FreeBSD-specific thing.

You may also find the -A flag to du(1) useful.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |