Terrible NFS4 performance: FreeBSD 9.1 + ZFS + AWS EC2

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Jul 9 08:11:12 UTC 2013

On 09.07.13 10:48, Berend de Boer wrote:
> OK, completely disregard my previous email. I actually was testing
> against a server in a different data centre, didn't think it would
> matter too much, but clearly it does (ping times 2-3 times higher).

Could you please actually post a diagram of your setup, with all the
components, including the "low spec Linux server". Do not forget the RTT
(ping) between these hosts. If you have made any network tuning too.

Networking protocols like NFS are heavily influenced by factors like
RTT.  An "underpowered" box that is "nearby" (has lover RTT) usually
performs much better than a "powerful box" with larger RTT and other
network bottlenecks.

Unfortunately, AWS is far from perfect hardware emulation and there
might be other layers that intervene with the NFS protocol.

Daniel