boot from ZFS: which pool types use?

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Jul 4 19:59:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> >> Now, looking at zfsboot.c, couldn't we (for finding /boot/zfsloader suitable
> >> for us) loop over, say, top-level datasets in pools we have, in abcense of
> >> special property?  As for me, this should plug the most annoying mistakes...
>
> I don't see any reason to do that.  For example I have multiple root filesystems
> and they are second level from top.  And I don't want any code to second-guess me.

Yes, it's fair objection, and I had this in mind

> > for ufs/fdisk, one could easily drop in the boot process and switch to other
> > disk, slice, partitiona and even loader.  Not that it's (at least easily)
> > achievable with zfsloader...
>
> Really?
> http://ru.kyivbsd.org.ua/arhiv/2012/kyivbsd12-gapon-zfs.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Hmm.  I do not see (maybe I'm missing something obvious) how can one select at
gptzfsboot or similar prompt the pool to load loader (not too much 'load's,
heh?) from...

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]