ZFS default compression algo for contemporary FreeBSD versions

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Thu Jul 4 12:59:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 04:22:58PM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Collegues,
>
> is it sane to just set 'zfs compression=on dataset' to achieve best algo on
> fresh FreeBSD systems (-current and/or stable/9)?
>
> The manual page is a bit uncertain about this...

The man page on stable/9, for me, says clearly:

Setting compression to on uses the lzjb compression algorithm.

This is as of r251935.

Your catman pages may be out of date.  I deal with this problem per a
recommendation of dougb back in the day: "rm -fr /usr/share/man/*" right
before doing "make installworld".  I've just gotten in the habit of
remembering to do it every time.

Otherwise render what's in /usr/src yourself:

nroff -Tman -man /usr/src/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/cmd/zfs/zfs.8 | less

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |