EBS snapshot backups from a FreeBSD zfs file system: zpool freeze?

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Thu Jul 4 02:25:00 UTC 2013

    Jeremy> The solution which was chosen was for Oracle to actually
    Jeremy> ship the customer an entire bare metal system with a
    Jeremy> gargantuan amount of RAM (hundreds of gigabytes; I often
    Jeremy> say 384GB because that's what sticks in my mind for some
    Jeremy> reason, maybe it was 192GB, doesn't matter), just to
    Jeremy> recover from the situation.

Yeah, well aware of the memory requirements. No problem. I see a lot
of people here who are apparently unaware of AWS and why it is so far
ahead of the pack.

If I have a memory problem, I make an image of my machine, stop the
old one, and boot up on a new machine with more memory. As simple as
that. Takes my 5 minutes.

8GB not enough? 5 minutes later you boot up on 32GB without a sweat
from your holiday vacation spot. 32GB not enough? What about 68GB?
That's not enough? Why not 244GB? By that time your credit card is
sweating, but hardware is trivially upgradable on EC2.

No waiting for hardware to arrive, minimum down time, all customers
remain happy.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer