EBS snapshot backups from a FreeBSD zfs file system: zpool freeze?

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Wed Jul 3 21:52:57 UTC 2013

    Gary> Other than using SAN (FC or iSCSI), I know of no reason to
    Gary> do backups at the raw disk level, nor any real demand.

Probably the hundreds of thousands of businesses that use Amazon AWS
disagree :-)

    Gary> I've worked with people who have done LUN based backups in
    Gary> the past and they have one drawback - they tend to back up
    Gary> the entire LUN, irrespective of whether it is an allocated
    Gary> block or not.  Modern systems that implement some kind of
    Gary> TRIM emulation (or cheat and sniff the filesystem block
    Gary> allocation maps) may alleviate that problem.

That's not how EBS does a back up. It only backs up allocated blocks
for the first time, and for subsequent backups only back up the
changed blocks.

    Gary> However, in the vast majority of cases, people back up from
    Gary> above the FS, not below.  This makes your use case probably
    Gary> more tied to EBS than you may otherwise think.

People generally didn't have a choice I would say. Now millions of
servers run on top of block storage.

Disks are just software. That's the new world.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer

          Awesome Drupal hosting: https://www.xplainhosting.com/