what is the "correct" way to "replicate" mem stick with ZFS on it?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Aug 16 15:33:50 UTC 2013

On 16.08.13 18:03, Zeus Panchenko wrote:
> Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:
>> You can do this instead:
>>
>> 1. Clone your pool A to pool B
>> 2. Export/remove pool A
>> 3. Export pool B
>> 4. Import exported pool B as pool A.
>
> in this case I need to remember which mem stick has which pool name on
> it, am I correct?

If you (at the end of the above process) have pool named A on both
memsticks, you don't have to remember anything other than the pool name
on the sticks is A.

If you don't remember the name of the pool, you can always use 'zpool
import' to list the names of the exported pools on the drives you just
connected.
This also implies it is wise to always export ports before disconnecting
devices, and thus you should have one more step above:
5. Export pool A

>> You can have two pools with the same name on one system,
>> unfortunately. But you can have different pools with the same name on
>> the same (or different) system.
>
> mmm ... sorry?
>
> what do you mean, please, under "different pools with the same name on
> the same system" ... ?

I see the typo in my post. You should read it: You can not have two
pools with the same name on one system, unfortunately.

The sunning system cannot have two pools with the same name. This is
obvious.

But you can connect one pool to the system and import it as A, then
after exporting that pool, connect another pool to the system and import
it as A too.
Say one of these pools might be two drive mirror and the other an five
drive raidz. Both pools can be imported as A, but not at the same time.

Daniel