Files created with vsphere on a seperate ZFS dataset are not visable from cli within FreeBSD itself

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 15:20:27 UTC 2013

Hello all.

I have a strange issue using 9.2-PRERELEASE
I use a 9.2 machine as storage for our virtual machines.

I created a ZFS dataset named ESXishare under a ZFS storage dataset
zfs list gives me the following
san # zfs list
NAME                                    USED  AVAIL  REFER MOUNTPOINT
storage                                       4.00G  2.13T   160K /storage
storage/ESXishare                      3.99G  2.13T  3.99G
/storage/ESXishare

I export this dataset to my 5.1 ESXi host using NFS
/etc/exports looks like

/storage/ESXishare -maproot=root: -alldirs -network 192.168.100.0 -mask
255.255.255.0

I can copy machines to this share fine.
I can add machines, files and directory's to this share without a
problem from the vsphere client using browse datastore and from the cli
on the FreeBSD machine itself

My thought was to use a per machine ZFS dataset to make zfs sending more
flexible. So i can send important  machines to a remote side every day,
and less important machines once a week. So i create a new ZFS dataset.

zfs create storage/ESXishare/machine1

san ESXishare # zfs list
NAME                                    USED  AVAIL  REFER MOUNTPOINT
storage                                4.00G  2.13T   160K  /storage
storage/ESXishare                      3.99G  2.13T  3.99G
/storage/ESXishare
storage/ESXishare/machine1               144K  2.13T   144K
/storage/ESXishare/machine1

I can see the share in vsphere using browse datastore, and i created a
vm in side this dataset from the vsphere client in the dir machine1

But if I use the cli on the FreeBSD machine itself i can not see the files.
san ~ # cd /storage/ESXishare/
san ESXishare # ls -al
total 26
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 Aug 15 16:29 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  4 Jul  3 13:56 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Aug 15 15:56 machine1

san ~ # cd /storage/ESXishare/machine1
total 17
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Aug 15 15:56 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 Aug 15 16:29 ..

zpool list tells me that the data is in use by the pool, but i can not
see the files.
san ~ # zpool list
NAME      SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
storage  2.17T  4.00G  2.17T     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

If i go to the dataset and do touch test I see the file test
san ~ # cd /storage/ESXishare/machine1
san ~ # touch test
ls -al
total 18
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  3 Aug 15 16:57 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 Aug 15 16:29 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Aug 15 16:57 test

But in my vsphere client using browse datastore  the file test is not
there.??
I can run the vm without problem.

zpool status
san ~ # zpool status
   pool: storage
  state: ONLINE
   scan: none requested
config:

         NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         storage         ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0      ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk00  ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk01  ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-1      ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk02  ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk03  ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-2      ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk04  ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk05  ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-3      ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk06  ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/disk07  ONLINE       0     0     0
         logs
           mirror-4      ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/log00   ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/log01   ONLINE       0     0     0
         cache
           gpt/cache00   ONLINE       0     0     0
           gpt/cache01   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

uname -a
FreeBSD san.mydomain.lan 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #0
r253377: Tue Jul 16 09:28:16 CEST 2013
root at san.mydomain.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KRNL  amd64

I have no idea where to look or if i am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your time.

regards
Johan