kernel panics because of the corrupted zpool meta-data

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 14 18:27:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Stan Grishin <stangri at melmac.net> wrote:

> As recommended in FreeBSD forums I'm posting the message here.
>
> I have a peculiar case where NAS4Free has corrupted the meta-data on my
> 4-disk raidz pool and a few flavours of FreeBSD and a latest version of
> OpenIndiana I've tried go down just when I try zpool import with no
> additional parameters (kernel panics).
>
> I have more or less given up of my precious data, but if any FreeBSD dev
> wants to investigate or help me fix the problem I'd gladly try any special
> build you'd want me to.
>
> PS. I've tried removing disks one by one, but any 3 out of 4 cause kernel
> panics and with just two I can't get my data back.
>
> PPS. zdb -l works and reports valid information about zpool configuration,
> but I can't fix any problems with zdb.

Did you try rolling back your pool to a previous state with 'zpool import
-T <txg>' ? It will attempt to import the pool as it was at the time
particular transaction group was committed.

Here's more info (it's for solaris, but should work on recent FreeBSD, too):
http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/7621-Back-in-time-or-zpool-import-T.html

--Artem