Zfs import issue

Peter Maloney peter.maloney at brockmann-consult.de
Thu Oct 4 09:24:15 UTC 2012

I find this sort of thing to be common, but not exactly as you describe.
I don't know if I tried df, but "zfs list" hangs (as well as any other
zfs related command, maybe even zdb). And I don't know what you mean
"importing zfs snapshot", so I'm guessing you mean zfs recv.

eg.

zfs send somedataset at somesnapshot | .......
(leave it running in background)

zfs list
(works fine; I guess it works because send is read-only)

zfs destroy somedataset at someothersnapshot
(hang; I guess because this is a write operation, so it needs to wait
for the read lock on zfs send to finish the transaction)

zfs list
(hang)

I'm not sure if df hangs too.

At this point, using kill -9 doesn't solve anything, and if you kill the
zfs send, it's possible that every zfs command and df will hang.

And I don't know what, but I'm mostly sure there is something I can run
that will make even "ls" hang after this point.

On 10/03/2012 03:34 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 03/10/2012 14:43 Ram Chander said the following:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I am importing zfs snapshot to freebsd-9 from anther host running
>> freebsd-9.  When the import happens, it locks the filesystem, "df" hangs
>> and unable to use the filesystem. Once the import completes, the filesystem
>> is back to normal and read/write works fine.  The same doesnt happen in
>> Solaris/OpenIndiana.
>>
>> # uname -an
>> FreeBSD hostname 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30
>> UTC 2012     root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/
>> usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>
>> Zfs ver: 28
>>

>> Any inputs would be helpful. Is there any way to overcome this freeze ?
> What if you add -n option to df?

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2