Millions of small files: best filesystem / best options

Alessio Focardi alessiof at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:16:25 UTC 2012

> > I ran a Usenet server this way for quite a while with fairly good
> > results, though the average file size was a bit bigger, about 2K or
> > so.
> > I found that if I didn't use "-o space" that space optimization
> > wouldn't
> > kick in soon enough and I'd tend to run out of full blocks that
> > would be
> > needed for larger files.

Fragmentation is not a problem for me, mostly I will have a write once-read many situation, still is not clear to me if "-o space" works in the constraints of the block/fragment ratio, that in my case it would still mean that I will have to use a 512 bytes subblock for every 200 byte files.

ps

really thank you for all of your help!

Alessio Focardi