zpool import reboots computer

Frank Bartels freebsd at knarf.de
Fri May 18 17:52:28 UTC 2012

Hi freebsd-fs,

I have a similar problem like Martin.

It started a while ago with a broken zfs, I was no longer able to
delete some files on /home/ncvs:

Checking setuid files and devices:
find: /home/ncvs/del/efax/Attic/pkg-comment,v: Bad file descriptor
find: /home/ncvs/del/libsyncml/files: No such file or directory

Two days ago the machine started rebooting every two hours, directly
after syncing my local cvsup-server.

So I renamed the zfs /home/ncvs to /home/ncvs.del and tried to
destroy it including its snapshots. The machine crashed again and
now I'm unable to import the pool.

First I've seen this backtrace:

https://www.server-king.de/download/DSC02742.medium.JPG

Then I've added the three blocks above to vdev_mirror.c. It still
crashes, but the backtrace has changed:

https://www.server-king.de/download/DSC02744.medium.JPG

calltrap
zio_checksum_verify
zio_execute
arc_read_nolock
arc_read

This is FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p1 amd64 on a Xeon X5650 with 24 GByte
RAM and 12 hard disks and 2 SSDs.

This is what I see with zpool import -d /dev/gpt

   pool: zdata
     id: 18141461787395278116
  state: ONLINE
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
 config:

        zdata               ONLINE
          raidz2-0          ONLINE
            gpt/zdata1.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata0.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata2.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata3.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata5.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata4.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata6.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata8.eli  ONLINE
            gpt/zdata9.eli  ONLINE
        cache
          gpt/zcache0.eli
          gpt/zcache1.eli
        spares
          gpt/zdata7.eli
        logs
          mirror-1          ONLINE
            gpt/zlog0.eli   ONLINE
            gpt/zlog1.eli   ONLINE

I have no idea why I don't see zcaches and zdata7 as ONLINE.

If I use zpool import (without -d) I see dsk/gpt instead of gpt/
on these three disks:

        cache
          dsk/gpt/zcache0.eli
          dsk/gpt/zcache1.eli
        spares
          dsk/gpt/zdata7.eli

Do you have any idea what I can do? I've tried 9.0-RELEASE (LiveCD)
without success. Do you think using 8.3-STABLE or 9.0-STABLE could
cure my problem?

Thanks,
Knarf