ZFS resilvering strangles IO

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue May 8 21:31:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> Do you think it would make sense to try to play with zfs_resilver_delay directly in the ZFS kernel module?

This may be the wrong approach if the issue is really that there are
too many I/Os queued for the device.  Finding a tunable which reduces
the maximum number of I/Os queued for a disk device may help reduce
write latencies by limiting the backlog.

On my Solaris 10 system, I accomplished this via a tunable in
/etc/system:
set zfs:zfs_vdev_max_pending = 5

What is the equivalent for FreeBSD?

Bob