gpart labels - why arent't some showing up in /dev/gpt/?

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 3 23:22:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:29:38AM +0200, Gustau Pérez i Querol wrote:
> Al 02/05/2012 08:46, En/na Peter Maloney ha escrit:
> >I have the same problem. Any time you boot off a CD/DVD and use import
> >-f (and then don't export), or I guess use import -f a pool from
> >anywhere, it does that. I don't know any non-zfs causes for the problem.
>
>   When doing the import -f, use -d /dev/gpt to force zpool to search
> for devices in /dev/gpt. That way the import will be done by gpt name,
> instead of by device name.

I've just read the manpage on that option again, and I don't
think that it would help, even if it was available.  I had
previously been able to refer to gpt entries as paths from /dev,
without it.  I.e., zpool create raidz tank gpt/zraid1 gpt/zraid2
... etc.  My problem at the moment is that the /dev/gpt/zraid1
etc entries aren't there at all, and zpool create complains
about exactly that problem.  It's not a question of using -d
/dev/gpt to short-cut the path name.

Cheers,

--
Andrew