Overriding the zpool bootfs property from the loader?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 23 13:13:02 UTC 2012

On 23/03/2012 12:15, Florian Wagner wrote:
> I've recently discussed more or less the same on this list. The thread
> is called "Extending zfsboot.c to allow selecting filesystem from
> boot.config" and available in the mailing list archives of October,
> November 2011 and Januar 2012.

> repository [1] which implement something like this. With his help I've
> backported these to stable 8.
>
> I've just recently gone over the work and put together a culminating
> patch, which I've tested as extensively as possible in my at-home
> environment. This is available as a Mercurial patch queue at [2] or
> directly at [3].

Yes, this looks like pretty much what I was asking for.  So, if I
understand this correctly, given a root zpool named 'zroot' and a number
of ZFSes with different boot environments ( zroot/ROOT/FOO,
zroot/ROOT/BAR, etc.) I could interrupt the boot before the menu screen
and just type at the boot: prompt --

   zfs:zroot/ROOT/FOO:boot/zfsloader

or

   zfs:zroot/ROOT/BAR:boot/zfsloader

to select different environments.  Is that right?  I'll give your
patches a go over the weekend -- I'm on stable/9 though.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.