Using ZFS as RAID0 - disk offline question

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:26:24 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 09:17 PM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 21:00, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> in ZFS when using a simple RAID 0 style array is there a way to recover
>> a pool after a disk has gone down?
> No.  RAID0 has no resilience to disk failure.  That's why things like
> RAID1, RAID10, RAIDz, RAIDz2 exist: so that your data will survive
> failure of some number of the drives it is stored on.
>
> Make sure you have good backups, basically.
>
> 	Cheers
>
> 	Matthew

Thanks for the responses!

I wasn't actually meaning recovering data on the 'downed' disk but on
the disk that was still online......

You see if say a system board fails and both devices are named /dev/ad4
and /dev/ad5 then a new system board gets put in and the device names
changed to /dev/ad12 and /dev/ad13 my question is will the ZPOOL still
exist? Will ZFS be intelligent enough to pick up the new device names
via the disk ID's?

Additionally if /dev/ad5 goes down, is it possible to keep using
/dev/ad4 which is part of the 'downed' pool...?? Or would one need to
replace the disk ad5 then the pool comes up again with only the
information on ad4??

This is what I was trying to get at and sorry if I didn't understand
100% the direction of the responses!

As in if you meant that the information of on /dev/ad5 will be lost - I
do understand this :-)

Regards,

Kaya