zfs with a bunch of drives

Dennis Glatting dg17 at penx.com
Sun Jan 8 18:17:48 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-08 at 10:56 -0500, Randy Bush wrote:
> we want to build a new 16-drive RELENG_9 server on which we intend to
> run a bunch of vboxen.  a couple of years ago, we built a 16-drive
> server.  based on advice here not to just do a big raidz, it was
> configured as eight mirrors
>
>         tank                ONLINE       0     0     0
>           mirror            ONLINE       0     0     0
>             label/m00-d01   ONLINE       0     0     0
>             label/m00-d00   ONLINE       0     0     0
>           mirror            ONLINE       0     0     0
>             label/m01-d00   ONLINE       0     0     0
>             label/m01-d01   ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> and so forth.  is this still the best advice for performance?
>
> and is there a url for building a bootable RELENG_9 zfs-only system?
> last i looked there were a half dozen all somewhat different.

I would do a performance measurement against a three drive RAIDz with
cache verses a simple mirror. Of course performance is based on data but
I've found RAIDz a better performer than RAID5 on blocky I/O, which
I /think/ is the type of I/O you'd see under vboxen.

I've taken data on a simple mirror verses RAIDz/2/3 but I no longer have
it.