zfs fs dependencies causing boot failure

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 8 18:06:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 09:56:57AM -0000, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Is there any current way to ensure that zfs mounts are processed
> before entries in fstab?
>
> In our case here we have some legacy ufs fs hosted on zvol's which
> are mounted to points within the standard zfs fs e.g.
> /dev/zvol/tank/data/legacy   /data/jails/legacy   ufs rw    2   2
>
> To our horror this currently prevents the machine from booting so
> would be good if there was some way to prevent this?
>
> Looking around there seems to have been something similar developed
> /etc/rc.d/zvol but this only deals with swap it seems.

Try adding 'late' keyword to the options field for you UFS file system
in /etc/fstab. Such file system should be mounted by rc.d/mountlate
scripts which comes after rc.d/zfs. For example:

/dev/zvol/tank/data/legacy	/data/jails/legacy	ufs	rw,late	2	2

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl