HPC and zfs.

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Feb 6 17:35:01 UTC 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 7:24 PM, Michael Fuckner wrote:

> Another thing to think about is CPU: you probably need weeks for a rebuild of a single disk in a Petabyte Filesystem- I haven't tried this with ZFS yet, but I'm really interested if anyone already did this.

This is where ZFS will shine. Depending on how you stripe disks, you can either get super fast resilver (if you go for stripe of mirrors), to fast (if you go for small number of disks raidz) to reasonable (if you of for large number of disks raidz). If you need high TPS you will want to go with mirrors anyway.

The thing is doable with commodity hardware, but I wonder how one ever backups such setup?

Daniel