Odd file system corruption in ZFS pool

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 28 12:05:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 01:33:14PM +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> Seems to be only associated with the filesystem, rather than the
> pool.  Well, my "tank" pool, (the raidz) shows zpool scrub
> making 0 fixes but there being unrecoverable erorrs in
> tank/home:<0x0>, but my backup file system (the one I send
> snapshot deltas to) shows exactly the same errors with no tank
> problems.  (Hmm. Hold that thought: I haven't actually tried a
> scrub on the backup file system.  It's just zpool status that
> shows no errors.  Running a scrub now.  Will take a while: it's
> a fairly slow USB2-connected disk.  Zpool status says expect 10+
> hours...)

Just want to update this: zpool scrub on the bkp2pool finished with zero errors found, but the
filesystem corruption noticed in the main pool (tank/home) has been faithfully reproduced.

That is: I have a directory Maildir.bad that echo .* shows:
Maildir.bad/. Maildir.bad/.. Maildir.bad/.AppleDouble Maildir.bad/.Suppliers.2010 Maildir.bad/.Unix

But the .Suppliers.2010 entry does not seem to have an inode number (let alone an inode):
$ ls -ai Maildir.bad returns:
ls: .Suppliers.2010: No such file or directory
 7906 .
 7810 ..
82016 .AppleDouble
80774 .Unix

Is this not terminally weird?  Is there any way to de-confuse ZFS?

Since memtest86+ did not seem to boot properly on this system, I've ordered new memory (twice as
much: will be 8G now.)  Also ordered a UPS.  We'll see if that helps with anything.

Cheers,

--
Andrew