Increasing ZFS Disk Sizes

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Apr 24 07:05:43 UTC 2012

On 24.04.12 09:11, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> One thing I'd certainly recommend your doing here is to set up a gmirror
> across your swap partitions.  As it is, despite having your filesystems
> mirrored using ZFS, you are still vulnerable to system crash should one
> of your drives fail.  To do that:
>
> Halt the system and reboot into single user mode (ie shutdown -r).  You
> want this so that your current swap partitions are not enabled, as
> you'll need to modify their configuration.

This can be done while the system is running, as long as swapping is
disabled (swapoff -a) and of course there is sufficient RAM to support
all running processes.

With regards to expanding the zpool, make sure you have autoexpand=on
property set on your zpool before you start doing any of this, or at
least before replacing the last drive in the vdev. This way, you will be
able to resize your zpool while the system is running, no downtime.
Otherwise, you may have to reboot and export/import the pool, something
not very trivial to do for an root on ZFS pool.

Daniel