[review request] zfsboot/zfsloader: support accessing filesystems within a pool

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 18 09:19:09 UTC 2012

on 15/04/2012 04:01 Bob Friesenhahn said the following:
> It would be nice if the updated FreeBSD bootloader could have the ability to
> boot both Solaris and FreeBSD root filesystems in the same pool so that one
> could switch between several zfs-based operating systems without needing to use
> a different partition for each one. Is this within the bounds of possibility or
> a totally irrational thought?

I can not assess feasibility of such a project.  Just want to note that
ultimately it's the code that gets booted, not filesystems.  I have an
impression that Solaris boot archive is quite different from how FreeBSD kernel
gets booted.

--
Andriy Gapon