zfs & gmirror == DIRTY mirror on reboot

Peter Maloney peter.maloney at brockmann-consult.de
Thu Apr 12 08:58:09 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 10:40 AM, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:34:47AM +0100, krad wrote:
>
>> On 11 April 2012 15:12, Slawa Olhovchenkov<slw at zxy.spb.ru>  wrote:
>>> Can some one fixing kern/113957#replay4?
>>> Creating ZFS over gmirror causing gmirror DIRTY on correct reboot.
>> this seams like a bizarre configuration. Why not let zfs do the
>> mirroring as its more efficient in many ways?
> I am need to reliable boot (toleranted to bad blocks in boot area, boot1/boot2).
> reliable boot =>  mirror in bios.
> PREC S100 don't have on-disk information about mirror =>  gmirror on OS
> level.
What's wrong with mirroring your / and /boot with zfs, and then if the
bootcode blocks get broken, just do the bootcode commands again:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da1

gmirroring your bootcode won't do anything more than this would, since
it is static content. (Or are you not talking about bootcode?)