redux: 48 or 96 sata3 paths ... specific ZFS hardware proposal

Jason Usher jusher71 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 16:53:37 UTC 2011

Peter, et. al,

--- On Fri, 9/23/11, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org> wrote:

> >About the only possible downside I can see to this
> board is that it
> >only takes 192GB of ram, but that is a LOT of ram ...
>
> Not for a 60TB ZFS system with lots (metadata in
> particular) activity.
> Even if you don't think you need 192GB, I suggest you
> populate the
> board with the largest DIMMs you can afford and leave a
> bank of slots
> free so you can fit more RAM in the future.

Ok, I decided to go with the X8DAH+-F motherboard.  Still has 7 pcie slots, and goes to 288 GB.  That should be scalable well into the future.

Now I am researching the drives - people seem to have fairly strong opinions on the 5k rpm hitachi 3TB vs. the 7k rpm hitachi 3TB drives.  I'd like to optimize for performance, so I think it will be the 7200s....