freebsd-fs Digest, Vol 431, Issue 2

Radio młodych bandytów radiomlodychbandytow at o2.pl
Tue Sep 20 07:13:18 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-20 01:30, freebsd-fs-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Presuming I can*find*  a 112+ lane mobo, I assume the cost would be at worst double ($800ish instead of $400ish) a mobo with fewer pcie lanes...
Good luck...I would be extremely surprised if you found it. And then
even more surprised if it cost much below $8000.
TYAN S8232, S7025 have 72 lanes, but unevenly distributed
Supermicro X8OBN-F has 80, but that's for Xeon 7xxx.
Tyan FT72B7015 has 8 x16 slots and 2 x4, but x16 ones are built with
PCIe switches, which halves available bandwidth. I think having 8 SATA
cards in them would be your best option.

The only chance to have more would be something with 4 Opterons, but I
haven't seen anything like that and I don't know if it's actually possible.

Like pointed out, you'll also find scalability issues on the way in
controllers, memory and likely in the OS too. Scalable Informatics build
a system like this recently and after lots of tweaking they got 4.1 GB/s
writes.
http://scalability.org/?p=3355
However that was with Linux, XFS and a ton of tweaks made by people who
do it for life.

Overall, it reminds me about a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twICykaRRvY

--