ZFS: zpool history size

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Mon Sep 12 07:00:38 UTC 2011

On 11 sept. 2011, at 21:03, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

>> Every interesting events between 2011-02-22 and 2011-06-30 is gone, that's more than 700 lines of ZFS command. Thanks to svn, I lose nothing.
>>
>> My questions are:
>> - what is the zpool history size limit?
>> - and is it possible to increase its value?
>
> As for a temporary workaround I am almost pretty sure you might have
> already done this is run a `zpool history` per day and log that to
> something like /var/log/zpool.history with a dated header and footer and
> just continue to append to that file while you chflags sappnd,sunlnk $FILE.

Well, I dump history every day already, and inject the result into a subversion repository. I could use a flat file, but subversion allows me to retrieve diff or complete version very easily.
Eventually, the problem is the same, if I need to reconstruct my FS from history, I'll have to merge every version and make sure every command is issued only once and in the correct order (no sort -u for me, then).
That's not a big issue, and I guess I can design a shell script using "svn diff" to create a proper history file, but that's annoying.

regards,
Patrick