ZFS version 30

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Fri Sep 9 22:20:36 UTC 2011

On 2011-Sep-09 11:38:07 -0500, Steve Thompson <steve.f.thompson at gmail.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know if there're any plans to get this into FreeBSD anytime
>soon?  I really want transparent encryption!

ZFS v28 is the latest publicly available code and it's unlikely that
features in later versions of ZFS on Solaris will be available in any
free OS's unless Oracle releases the code.  As others have said, the
various FOSS groups using ZFS are co-ordinating their efforts but
there is very little public information on their plans or progress.

If you need encryption now, I suggest you investigate gdbe(4) and
geli(4).  You can run ZFS on top of either.

--
Peter Jeremy