ZFSv28+NFSv4 poor file creation performance, "sync=disabled" has no effect

Martin Matuska mm at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 4 22:29:05 UTC 2011

On 4. 9. 2011 3:28, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> pjd@, mm@, and others will need to comment on this.  -fs is the best
> list for this, so I'm a little surprised no key members have chimed in
> here.
>
> What we (the community) need clarification regarding is whether or not
> OpenSolaris and/or Illumos still provides the zil_disable tunable on
> those OSes; if they do, FreeBSD should provide the same (which means
> removable of zil_disable on FreeBSD is effectively a regression).  If
> said OSes do not provide it, then FreeBSD should not provide it.  If
> said OSes moved to using the sync parameter where it works, yet it does
> not work on FreeBSD, then that's a bug and a PR should be filed +
> discussion induced.
The per-dataset synchronicity setting was proposed to OpenSolaris in
PSARC/2010/108 and added in changeset 12294.
It is now part of all ZFS implementations.

PSARC:
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2010/108/20100401_neil.perrin
Changed code:
http://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/illumos/illumos-gate/rev/2a74b443e6b1