ZFS hang in production on 8.2-RELEASE

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 2 07:15:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:54:07PM +0200, Martin Matuska wrote:
> On 29. 8. 2011 21:55, Artem Belevich wrote:
> > It sounds like the bug Martin Matuska has recently fixed in FreeBSD
> > and reported upstream to Illumos:
> > https://www.illumos.org/issues/1313
> >
> > The fix has been MFC'ed to 8-STABLE r224647 on Aug 4th.
> >
> > --Artem
> No, I think this is more likely fixed by pjd's bugfix in r224791 (MFC'ed
> to stable/8 as r225100).
>
> The corresponding patch is:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfsdev_state_lock.patch

My patch fixes deadlock when there is some activity in vdevs handlings
(like removal of disk from the pool or something like that).

The bug reported is definiately related to force unmount while file
system is loaded. I've spend a lot of time trying to get forcible
unmounts right, which is not an easy task, believe me, but it is
possible the deadlock is already fixed in v28.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com