SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE on UFS/EXT2FS

gnehzuil gnehzuil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 04:28:10 UTC 2011

Hi Pedro,

Actually, in linux, it doesn't really support SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE. The
patches related don't be merged into mainline.
At present, when lseek(2) is called with SEEK_DATA, the entire file is
as data, as long as offset is smaller than the end of the file.
Meanwhile, a virtual hole is at the end of the file. So lseek(2) is
called with SEEK_HOLE, i_size in linux is returned.

Best regards,
lz