Call for msdosfs/ntfs experts (or better, maintainers)

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Fri Oct 14 11:20:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:54:05AM +0300, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
> > Case 2.  Apparently, Apple actually released their NTFS implementation
> > under BSD license which seems quite worthy to take a look at:
> >
> >     http://opensource.apple.com/source/ntfs/ntfs-78/kext/
> >
> Sounds very interesting. I'd peek it up and do a FreeBSD port, but I
> won't be able to start at least in two months. I've just started
> reviewing and testing this year FUSE GSoC project. It works quite ok for
> me (ntfs, encfs), no more random panics etc.
>
> Question remains if it's worth doing the port from darwin if we have
> working fuse ntfs.

Real in-kernel FS implementation should be faster; also, some people do
not like extra level (that is, fuse) sitting between their data and
system.

> How mature darwin implementation is?  Is there public source repository
> with history?

If this code is what they actually use in Mac OS X, I would assume it
should be at least not worse than ours.  :-)  As for public repo,
perhaps it could be arranged if we contact Apple and/or Anton Altaparmakov
(assuming he is the author of this code).

./danfe