zvol and zfs send no file on the receiving side.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 28 14:29:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 08:26:18AM +0100, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> After some reluctance using zfs i decided it was time to just use it,
> and it make my life a lot easier.
> Thank you all !
>
> One thing i can not get to work however is sending and receiving a zfs
> volume.
>
> I have a master so to say, and a bacup server.
> On the master the pool is named storage, on the backup machine the pool
> is called tank.
>
> on the master i did the following.
>
> # zfs create -V10G storage/iscsitest
>
> if i do a zfs list -t volume, i see that the volume is there.
>
> # zfs list -t volume
> NAME                       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> storage/iscsitest         10.3G  65.9G    16K  -
>
> If i go to the directory /storage and do a ls -al
> i see my zvol file.
>
> # ls -al
> total 1901416
> drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel            5 Nov 25 17:44 .
> drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel         1024 Nov 25 11:33 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  10737418240 Nov 25 20:46 iscsitest

Very interesting that you have this file here. It surely wasn't created
by ZFS. ZVOL is not regular file, it is a GEOM provider (disk-like device)
and can be found in /dev/zvol/storage/iscsitest.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com